Galicica National Park, recognized for its rich and rare nature and unique beauty, was declared a national park in 1958 in order to preserve the flora and fauna and the natural appearance of Mount Galicica. About 2/3 of the National Park is included in the boundaries of the World Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region, inscribed on the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List.
The park is a hotspot of biological diversity in the region, but also in a wider global context. The park stands out from other areas of similar size due to the exceptional wealth of habitats and species in a relatively small territory. On an area of approximately 24000 hectares, more than 37 habitat types, 40 plant communities, about 1600 taxa of vascular plants, over 143 species of lichenoid fungi, more than 480 species of fungi and over 3279 taxa of fauna are found. In the park, there are 4 taxa of invertebrates and 13 of vertebrates that are considered globally endangered. Several hundred rare and protected species in the park are represented by significant populations. Some of them are found only within the boundaries of the park: 29 taxa of algae, 12 types of vascular plants, 68 taxa of invertebrates and 4 taxa of vertebrates. In addition, the park is inhabited by a large number of taxa that are found only in Macedonia or the Balkans: 46 taxa of higher plants, 89 taxa of invertebrates and 14 taxa of vertebrates.
St. Naum from Ohrid erected the church in the year of 900 and dedicated it to the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel. In 910, after his death, St. Naum was buried in a small chapel in the church. The chapel is decorated with beautiful frescoes with scenes from the life and wonders of St. Naum. Later, during the Ottoman Empire, the church was completely destroyed. The present church was built in several phases between the XVI и XVII century over the foundations of the old church. The today- church does not have the fresco decoration from the X century, and the existing frescoes were painted in 1806. Another characteristic element of the church is its gilded carved iconostasis made in 1711, along with most of the icons.